I still remember when 30 was old...

Can you believe that my mother was my age when my grandmother passed? When she had 4 girls and owned the Oso General Store. I was 11 and running around Oso like a silly little Pater girl. Skipping down Oso loop road to Tabitha's, the McKinney boys, the VanFleet's (Jon the animal killer!), Rachel and Paul's, Tiffany's and Jen's. Playing at the cabins with Ben. Picking wildflowers. Playing with the cows and pigs. Fishing in the pond. Running from buffalo. Throwing rocks off the old train bridge. Riding the 4wheeler round and round the yard. Riding my pink bike with my white basket down to my friends house. Living at the river during the hot summer days with all the neighbor kids.
My best friend in the whole wide world was Jessie Hedeen and we did everything together. We even ended up cleaning stalls through the summers for extra cash.
We rode horses everywhere. Sierra and Tiki. Through the fields at the farm. Up mountain roads, jumping any fallen tree we could find. On the beaches and through the river. What great memories I have with her and her family. Those memories are probably the most cherished in my little life. With that horse.
Gosh, looking back. I still remember when 30 was old. And now, Well, I'll be 30 in 6 months. Laying in that open field, bugs sticking to my oiled up legs...getting some sun. Putting grass between my fingers to blow through for a small whistle. Making wishes on puffballs. I never ever dreamed I would be here. Its never too late to get where you wanna go.
My oh my, writing about it all sure makes me want to go back to those days. I want to go lay in that field while my horse wonders around me, eating away. While I laugh in the excitement of going to see Gavin Rosdale in Bush with Jessie. To just read a good book. Cover to Cover. No worries, no cares. To pack up a bag and run away to Tabitha's for the night. To get in a good run from Jon because he was going to throw some "guts" on us! To look through the fence at the pigs, learning all about how the pigs can eat anything, even us. Thanks Tiffany (Insert laugh here). Such a simple, safe little life.

Here I am now.
I chase after 2 silly hearted boys now. Playing. Adventuring.
I work every day, all day. I work at my job. I work at home. I work hard. To sit and read a book would be a great joy at this point in my life. I find time to skip away to the farm though. Its my great guilty pleasure. I pick up some grass, put it between my fingers and blow for my small whistle. I get to twiddle my toes in the sun. Brings me as close to those days as I can get.
My childhood friends, everyone has moved away now, all but my Jen and me. We are raising our kids as simply as possible. Its funny that we both have boys named Hunter (Hunter squared) and that we could pick up right where we left off 10 years ago. Shes in Oso still, I'm just a few minutes out. I love going back home to see her. To that land. To laugh about our silly escapades. To watch our kids live out such silly adventures as well.

I am Happy. I am happy with everything I have in my life. Grateful! I would not have it any other way. But one day, I'll have a field of my own to lay in with a horse eating next to me.

Comments

Popular Posts

Past Blogs

Show more