::because I'm an Oso girl - born and raised Oso Strong::

When I heard the fire trucks fly past my home, then the police...so on and so forth... my children and I ran outside. They were headed down the road. My heart always sinks instantly when this happens. I know everyone in that town. Is it my Poppop? My Uncle Steve? Aunt Kara? Brian? Tim and Jamie? The Snow's? Bob and Bobbie? Gail and Cherity and their families? So many people... I call my Mommy to make sure everyone is ok. Everyone is fine. Poppop is out of town and so are my Aunt and Uncle.
Rescue vehicles started passing. Hovercrafts in tow. Then went Mt. Vernon fire trucks. Town after town flew by my home. Oh-No! Someone in the river?

Then silence. The boys and I sat in wonder. Flipping through the news. Nothing.

A few hours later I heard on the radio about an Oso mudslide this morning. A devastating slide that took out 15 homes and there are people missing. 
I struggled to gain strength and composure for my children. My eyes burst.

My Oso? My Family? My Friends?

Oso is our hometown and we are proud to be Oso Strong. We are very protective of our community. Going down the road you could say hi to everyone, because, you know and love everyone. You Easter egg hunt together. You play down the road together. Your parents are all friends....
This is where we rode our bikes, went 4wheelin, jumped off the "Never say die" bridge, lived our summers at deer creek, worked at Pam and Larry's ranch and rode horses, grabbed paper bags full of free penny candy at my mommy's Oso store from Bobbie and Gail, and ran the train tracks to grandma and grandpa's! My family, friends and heart live there. "Fight the fight or get out." was what my mama used to say. So, lets keep fighting!!



Oso Strong.  Oso Love.  Oso Girl
In memory of those lost and effected by the devastating March 22nd mudslide.

Comments

Popular Posts

Past Blogs

Show more